Günther Uecker, born 1930, studied painting in Wismar and Berlin-Weißensee from 1949 to 1953. In 1953 he first moved to West Berlin and in 1955 finally to West Germany. Here he continued his studies with Otto Pankok until 1958 in Düsseldorf. Already in the 1960s he showed his works at important exhibitions like the documenta in 1964, 1968 and 1977 as well as at the 1970 Venice Biennale. From 1976 to 1995 he was professor at the Düsseldorf Art Academy. In 1999 he designed the devotional room in the German Bundestag in Berlin. In 2008 he co-founded the Zero Foundation in Düsseldorf. As early as 1957, Uecker created his nail paintings on a white background, which were to become characteristic of his art from then on. The nail serves him both as a brush and as a material for his sculptural works, which he executed from 1962 on everyday objects, furniture and boards. The embossed graphics - white reliefs, which are dynamic through the alignment of the nails depicted and the interaction of light and shadow - represent the printmaking continuation of his sculptural art. Günther Uecker lives in Düsseldorf and St. Gallen.